Sunday, July 10, 2011

Arriving in Vietnam

The flights from Buffalo to Chicago and Chicago to Hong Kong were pretty uneventful.
When I arrived in Hong Kong, however, it was announced that the flight from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh was cancelled. They were handing out vouchers to stay at a hotel and we would catch a flight out the next morning. I was lucky though because I asked if I could catch a flight to Hanoi instead and I was able to leave that evening. The Hong Kong airport is amazing! There are more then 500 gates. So many stores it looks like a mall. Television sets in the waiting areas.
I called Volunteers for Peace to make sure someone could pick me up at the airport.
I was a bit worried that they wouldn't understand me over the phone. Luckily though when I arrived in Hanoi there was someone there with my name on a sheet of paper, phew! After an hour's drive we finally arrived at Peace House, the office for Volunteers for Peace Vietnam and the dorms for the volunteers. I didn't see much when I first arrived. A gate and a big building. The person who picked me up from the airport (no idea who it was or what their name was...) showed me to my room on the third floor. It was 2 in the morning everyone was asleep. I crept into my bunk, and went to sleep.



It was very strange to wake up having no idea who the other people in the room were, where things were, or what to do. The only thing I knew was my schedule which I had been given at the airport when I arrived. I didn`t have my orientation scheduled until monday. When I got up I wandered into the next room which was a common room. After asking I finally found the washrooms. They have what is called a Vietnamese washroom here which means the shower and the sink and the toilette share the same space. There is a drain in the corner of the room for the water from the shower to drain off.




Here is my dorm room




1 comment:

  1. gotta love the Vietnamese toilet - you can pee and shower at the same time! lol i take it you have a Western toilet? count your blessings! Actually the typical Swedish washroom is the same, strangely enough. Where are the pics of the toilets?

    ReplyDelete